Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Times interlocutors

I’ve spotted a new trend amongst political journalists on the Times. OK, perhaps too small a group to constitute a trend, but it must be more than coincidence that both David Aaronovitch’s contribution today and good old Mary Ann (just call me Mary)’s contribution of 27 Sept seem to be trying to reinvent the common journalist or interviewer as an ‘interlocutor’. Perhaps this is a recent Times editorial policy diktat. Of course Mary’s (below) was rather more contrived. I’ve checked my dictionary and:

interlocutor

1. Someone who takes part in a conversation, often formally or officially.
2. The performer in a minstrel show who is placed midway between the end men and engages in banter with them.

but I’m still rather stumped as to which is appropriate or intended.

No comments: